Today’s companies and entrepreneurs are presented with the unique opportunity to increase profitability through greater eco awareness and the pursuit of a more sustainable business. Many companies are standing at the crossroads of traditional business and sustainable development
asking which road to take.
As a sustainability consultant, I advise clients to look to the leading edge. Sustainable business leaders are evaluating new markets, new products, and going after the most innovative people
. These organizations are defined by common characteristics:
1. Company has a genuine commitment to sustainability by management at the highest level, with sustainability principles present in core values and business strategies.
2. Sustainability strategies are cascaded down through management and are incorporated into organizational and individual performance goals.
3. Employees are informed
, motivated , and actively engaged in the company’s sustainability program.
4. Key Performance Indicators
(KPIs) for sustainability are fully integrated into the business processes, corporate performance, and employee recognition.
5. Company has active dialogue with key stakeholders
on sustainability issues, including customer to understand how sustainability issues relate to different market segments.
6. Product stewardship
is integrated into the development process, with production and procurement decision-making supporting more sustainable choices.
7. A Supply Chain Management strategy that aligns company and supplier performance targets to deliver a sustainable supply and stimulate product innovation.
8. Business risks and opportunities associated with sustainable development are well-understood and communicated to key stakeholders, especially investors.
9. Defined strategies to ensure business sustainability initiatives add value both to the company and community and to the business.
10. Transparent reporting
on sustainability concepts and sensitive issues, with both positive and negative results.
At Taiga Company
, we see the future of business sustainability going far beyond the implementation of individual sustainability concepts. Many organizations have already adapted their business models to capture value from sustainable development. The leaders of tomorrow will continue to push the edge of business sustainability to transform entire industry sectors. The right strategies and small business resources can help bridge your business into the future.