Imagine someone doing something nice for you right now. A sincere compliment or holding the elevator for you. It's a good feeling, isn't it? Kindness has the ability to change us, and our emotions, immediately.
As a professional and sustainability consultant, I see how kindness and sustainability are intrinsically linked. While we are here on this planet, at this precise time in history, many of us want to make a difference in the way we treat our environment. Many of us want to make a significant contribution to the role business takes in shaping our economy, society, and environment. Sometimes, getting others to share our view is met with resistance.
The easiest way to be kind to our planet and promote a sustainable lifestyle to others is by sharing with friends, neighbors, and in the community. Sharing is a genuine expression of the value you find in the sustainability concepts that you embrace in your life. Linking kindness with sustainable or green actions is one way to subtly introduce sustainability concepts to others. Here are some ideas:
- Pick up litter you see as you are walking on the sidewalk.
- Turn the lights off after someone else has forgotten as they left the room.
- Collect scrap office paper and bring it to the recycling center.
- Bring an organic meal to friends after just having a baby.
- Treat a friend to organic fare at a local sustainable restaurant.
- Teach a child how to ride a bike.
- Invite a friend on a nature walk.
- Share your favorite green blog with friends.
- Volunteer to clean up the break room and use eco friendly cleaning supplies.
- Feed the birds from a park bench or feeder.
- Adopt a pet from your local animal shelter.
- Donate a bag of organic coffee and share with your office.
- Make a contribution to your favorite charity.
- Volunteer your time for a worthwhile organization.
- Notice and compliment the sustainable efforts other are doing.
With this in mind, I encourage you to explore random acts of green kindness that you can share with others. When others see you living a sustainable lifestyle, and see that you are enjoying it, it inspires them to make similar efforts for themselves. Extending kindness today, paves the way for a brighter future for us all.