The role of social media shares similar values to sustainability: authenticity, transparency, and engagement. Capturing that essence, the post, 5 Reasons Blogging and Social Media Builds Better Green Brands illustrates how corporate communications are changing. Citing, "a major component of any corporate sustainability plan isn’t so much how a company carries out those strategies but also how it communicates it to its many stakeholders. There is an emerging role of social media for stakeholder engagement and for businesses to communicate their broader corporate responsibility agenda."
Well said! But, how are they doing it?
Campaigns are essential to engage key audiences and build relationships with consumers. Marketing campaigns tend to encompass several different strategies, such as advertising, public relations and social media. By building an effective integrated campaign, companies can ensure that they are connecting with their key audiences. Leverarging sustainability data in campaigns is a means of not only providing information, but also increasing stakeholder engagement around environment themed sustainability topics as in water, energy, and waste management.
2. Consistent Content
One simple secret to social media success is to post consistent content your audience loves. For many, content curation can be challenging. Who wants to know what? Let your stakeholders be your guide.
- Shareholders – Share knowledge that may affect company share price.
- Partners – Share data that may impact investment dollars.
- Employees – Share feedback on internal operations.
- Customers – Share direct feedback on product quality and shifting market expectations.
- Suppliers/Contractors –Share, engage, and collaborate on new material sources and process improvements.
- Local Communities – Include continuous feedback on business impact on society.
- Natural Environment – Share feedback from NGOs on business impact to physical surroundings.
As consumers, employees, businesses, communities, and non government organizations increasingly question business actions on climate change, they want to see transparent, more credible information on the responsible actions companies are taking to address their social and environmental impacts. Social media engagement offers the ability to connect, share, and engage on sustainability related issues with interested stakeholders to increase collaboration and drive value.
Sustainability and social media together offer a refreshing and innovative approach to business. Our sustainability consulting offers information and access to resources that can help your business discover the value of social media for sustainability. Contact Us to get started today.