In order to meet the growing demands of business sustainability and maintain a competitive advantage over the competition, businesses are encouraged to take a hard look at their talent pool. This often requires managers to incorporate a wide variety of perspectives in their talent appraisals.
The ability to identify, select, develop, and retain highly valued skill sets can set an company apart. Our sustainability consulting finds progressive organizations are developing specific business sustainability strategies with an expanded view of talent management.
The BNET.com post, 9 Traits That Make Great Employees Outstanding, offers a unique perspective to talent appraisal and management. Specifically targeting the less identified marks of greatness, the author offers insight into what he refers to as, “The extra 1%: The qualities that often go unnoticed”. Here is a snapshot of that list:
• The best employees are a little different.
• When times get tough… outstanding employees walk that fine line with ease.
• Ignore job descriptions…outstanding employees know without being told there’s a problem — and jump in without being asked, even if it’s not “their job.”
• Self-motivation often springs from a desire to show that doubters are wrong.
• Outstanding employees recognize the contributions of others, especially in group settings where the impact of their words is even greater.
• Outstanding employees have a feel for the issues and concerns of those around them and step up to ask questions others are hesitant.
• Outstanding employees start working when the workday starts.
• Outstanding employees go a step farther and find ways to make those processes even better.
Having the right people in place has always critical to business success; however, it has become increasingly important to have a new set of skills to respond to evolving market conditions and business sustainability needs. The ability to plan and take action to address resource demands has long been a defining characteristic of a successful business. Our sustainability consulting works with businesses to understand the value in having specific talents in place.